The purpose of EUFAS, founded in 2010, is to promote education and advances in knowledge and understanding in the field of addiction in all European countries, for the non-profit protection of health. ‘Addiction’ comprises all mental disorders related to the use of psychoactive substances and non-substance habit-forming products (such as gambling).
Specifically EUFAS intends to:
- Improve addiction care in European countries,
- Improve prevention measures both on a national as well as a European level,
- Support those European countries whose prevention and treatment systems may be less developed,
- Influence the allocation of financial resources for addiction research on a national as well as a European level.
- Reinforce addiction research in Europe
- Improve and harmonise prevention and treatment
- Suggest policies based on evidence